Black Bean Salsa Frittata
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup red onion, chopped and soaked in water-vinegar mixture
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
1 lime, juiced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 roma tomato, seeded and chopped
¼ cup cotija cheese, grated
1 avocado, diced
1. Combine salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the eggs in a large bowl. Add the salsa to the eggs and stir to combine.
3. To prepare frittata, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
4. Pour the egg and salsa mixture into the nonstick skillet.
5. Cook until eggs are slightly firm.
6. Sprinkle the top with tomatoes, Cotija cheese, avocado and cilantro.
7. Cut into wedges and serve.
One large egg is only 70 calories, only 5 grams of fat and contains 13 essential nutrients including vitamin D, lutein, folate, iron, and zinc.
Beans contain fiber, protein and iron. Consuming foods rich in fiber reduces the risk of coronary heart disease and may reduce constipation.
Nutrition information per serving: ¼ recipe
Calories: 335; Total fat: 16g; Saturated fat: 5g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 326mg; Sodium: 454mg; Carbohydrates: 31g; Dietary Fiber: 12g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 21g; Vitamin A: 20%; Vitamin C: 22%; Calcium: 13%; Iron: 24%